A good skin care routine is essential in obtaining and/or maintaining clear, healthy looking skin. Skin that shows signs of aging or damage can be disheartening, and can also affect how you interact with other people and in social situations. But don’t fear, wrinkles, acne, blemishes or other skin problems can effectively be eliminated with a proper skin care regimen.
Skin Care Must-dos
The most effective skin care regimen will include:
- Cleansing: Proper cleansing with a product that is best suited for your particular skin type (combination/normal, dry, oily or sensitive) is a must. For dry skin, Cetaphil works well. For oily skin, Clinique has some good products. For combination/normal skin, Neutrogena, is good. For sensitive skin, try Oil of Olay for sensitive skin. There are other good products out there, so experiment for yourself and choose what is best for you. Just make sure you choose according to your skin type and follow the instructions for use.
- Exfoliating: This is a step that should not be skipped in any skin care routine. Exfoliating sloughs off dead cells and helps keep pores from becoming clogged. You can use sloughing pads or creams. Just make sure you are gentle so that you do not damage your skin when exfoliating. Facial peels are also good.
- Moisturizing: All skin types need moisturizing, but make sure you do not over moisturize your skin, because this can clog pores. Also choose a moisturizer that is best for your skin type – read the labels. Note: If you have acne, it is best to moisturize around the acne prone areas of your skin until the acne heals, or moisturize those areas “very lightly”. This is because moisturizing locks moisture into the skin and acne prone areas need to breathe more in order to heal.
- Protecting: Make sure you remember to use a sunscreen with UV protection. One of the main reasons wrinkles form is because of sun damage. Sun damage can also contribute to skin diseases and bad looking skin as well.
- Nourishing: An effective skin care routine is not complete with the proper foods and drinks in your daily diet that help keep skin looking fresh, clear and healthy. A diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients is essential to having great skin.